[Libdlo] display link devices linux

Bernie Thompson bernie at berniethompson.com
Thu Jun 18 22:12:14 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 4:30 AM, vkm<viral.vkm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have a basic question.
> Can any of DisplayLink device work with my Linux machine? I am running
> 2.6.30 kernel version.

In short, yes.  Many people are already making use of Roberto De
loris' excellent and quickly improving Linux Kernel Framebuffer Driver
+ X Server.  That and/or any user-mode applications built with libdlo
or written direct to fbdev should work on all DisplayLink devices.
Any recent kernel should be fine.

But ... no surprise in these early days -- things are not very settled
yet for normal end users.  Thanks to some help from Greg Hartman, the
kernel framebuffer driver is now offered by Ubuntu (at least 9.04),
but extending your desktops over to DisplayLink devices (or using them
as additional terminals) still requires messing with your xorg.conf,
which can get difficult.

So things won't be "plug and play" until Linux distributions begin
picking up both the kernel driver and an X Server which can get more
automatically configured.  The "automatically configured" part is
still yet to come (one form of it may come by integrating support for
unused framebuffer/udlfb devices as extra monitors by the primary X
Server on the system). That and the distro integration have a good
chance of coming together in the coming months. But for now some
assembly is required ...

Thanks,
Bernie