[Libdlo] Equivalent for $DISPLAY

Bernie Thompson bernie at berniethompson.com
Sat May 23 08:41:03 PDT 2009

Hi Phil,

Every DisplayLink device should have a unique USB PID/serial number combo.
So you'd need both in your id string, but then that sounds like a good
strategy for uniquely identifying a particular device.

Thanks for raising this issue of ownership of devices between drivers and
apps!  libdlo doesn't really try to deal with this system-wide yet.  Also
very interested in hearing how precedents might guide us.

It may be these type of devices are somewhat unique in that they're, in a
sense, mostly stateless.  Just screens to scribble on.  Assuming we want to
allow for uses other than through X, we do need to have some concepts of
current ownership and end-user intent about the purposes they want a screen
to be dedicated to.  But also don't want to make this too complex, as most
people probably will be using through X eventually.

Thanks again,
Bernie