[Libdlo] DLFB 0.1 (udlfb)

Bernie Thompson bernie at berniethompson.com
Sat May 23 09:23:16 PDT 2009

Hi Phil,

All DisplayLink products share the DisplayLink USB Vendor ID (17e9).  Then
the model of chip can be queried via device commands, so the software knows
basic capabilities of the chip, like what modes are supported. Then we work
with device makers to insure that each individual end-user product always
has a unique USB Product ID / Revision ID in PROM (the chip model could also
be divined from these).  The PIDs are really only essential for proper plug
and play and details like branding and extra device-unique features
(especially for multi-function devices). They aren't really needed for core
modeset and rendering functionality -- that can be handled purely by knowing
chip model and the EDID of the monitor attached on the end.

In the "next steps" email sent to kick of the list, it mentioned that we'll
want to add more logic and knowledge to libdlo so that all special cases are
covered for all devices and monitors, and the library makes things "just
work" more automatically. What's there today is blind to some details, but
should be capable of working with some hand tweaking in all cases.  Let the
list know about any problem cases.

So, yes - there are many DisplayLink products (hundreds), so many PIDs that
people might report back on, in terms of capatibility with Roberto's
impressive dlfb work. But most of the problems in practice will just be with
(un)supported modes.

Thanks,
Bernie