[Libdlo] Graphics issues with gnome 2.16

Bernie Thompson bernie at berniethompson.com
Thu Nov 26 08:19:50 PST 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 5:19 AM, Alexander Todorov <atodorov at otb.bg> wrote:
> Alexander Todorov wrote:
> Something interesting which may help figure out what's wrong.
> From gdm.conf I've removed the 0=inactive server declaration and upon plugging
> in the USB hub with all peripherals attached the login prompt appeared on the
> primary PC screen. I had no issues with menus or panels not appearing.

Hi Alexander,

Yea, that 0=inactive line in gdm.conf will cause gdm not to load the
default X server -- which on most recent xorg & distro configs, is set
to auto-detect PCI graphics and all input devices (via hal), and
auto-launch a single X instance on them, owning all devices.

So it sounds like the behavior you're seeing would be expected right
now, with that line removed.

Now, in the future, to get back to something multiseat friendly, what
we'd like to have happen is that each X instance (including the
default on) would use something like libudev to find the graphics and
input devices on the system, and heed an attribute on each device
(SEAT_ID) to only grab/use devices that it is intended to own, instead
of grabbing all of them.

Regards,
Bernie