[Libdlo] displaylink fb + xorg driver in user space??

Florian Echtler floe at butterbrot.org
Wed Sep 16 07:52:10 PDT 2009

Hello Stefano,

> I agree, what I would like to do as first milestone is to map the usb
> kernel packets to the libusb ones (no problem for that), the part I am
> not very confident on is the Xorg side of the thing.
I think this approach is a bit backwards, as the kernel module evolved
from the userspace libraries. I suggest you look at libdlo
[http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libdlo/] and tubecable
[http://github.com/floe/tubecable]. I assume that you could link either
of these into an Xorg driver module, though I'm absolutely no expert on
this.

> > Again, why would you want to do this when we have a working solution
> > already?  Who is imposing the "no kernel code" rule on you, and why?
> This would be only for a demo, any suggestion would be really appreciated.
Let me guess: embedded system with encrypted bootloader or something
similarly nasty.

Florian
--
0666 - Filemode of the Beast