[Libdlo] Only greenscreen ----searching for suggestions a long time

Mike Jager mike at mikej.net.nz
Fri Feb 5 17:24:50 PST 2010

On 06/02/10 13:57, Bernie Thompson wrote:

> Anyone else having any success with extended desktop scenario on
> Ubuntu 9.10? Any definitive instructions?

Sort of.

I've got 2 HP DL adapters attached to my Dell Vostro 1310 for use when
I'm at home. I'm using the udlfb driver that's bundled with the Ubuntu
9.10 kernel (2.6.31-17-generic). This gives me the green screen as soon
as the DL adapters are attached.

This is combined with udev to ensure that the FB devices get consistent
naming under /dev:

cat /etc/udev/rules.d/99-displaylink.rules
ATTRS{product}=="HP USB Graphics Adap", ATTRS{serial}=="101050",
SYMLINK="fbhp0"
ATTRS{product}=="HP USB Graphics Adap", ATTRS{serial}=="101217",
SYMLINK="fbhp1"

I'm using version 0.3 of xf86-driver-displaylink - the one bundled in
udlfb-0.2.3_and_xf86-video-displaylink-0.3.tar.gz. Prior to compilation,
I comment out line 548 of src/displaylink.c, which is
"xf86CrtcScreenInit (pScreen);". This is as per the suggestion in
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libdlo/2009-June/000234.html to
disable RandR.

This driver then gets installed (usual ./configure ; make ; sudo make
install) into /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers. I can't remember
exactly what packages I had to install prior to compilation, but from
memory there was nothing out of the ordinary - xorg-dev, libusb-dev,
build-essential, and their dependencies.

My xorg.conf looks like this:

Section "Files"
         ModulePath      "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
         ModulePath      "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
	Option		"DontZap" "off"
	Option		"EnableRandR12" "false"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"dl0"
	Driver		"displaylink"
	Option		"fbdev" "/dev/fbhp0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"dl1"
	Driver		"displaylink"
	Option		"fbdev" "/dev/fbhp1"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"philips0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"philips1"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"screen0"
	Device		"dl1"
	Monitor		"philips0"
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth	24
		Modes	"1280x1024"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"screen1"
	Device		"dl0"
	Monitor		"philips1"
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth	24
		Modes	"1280x1024"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"multihead"
	Screen		0 "screen0" 0 0
	Screen		1 "screen1" LeftOf "screen0"
	Option		"Xinerama" "on"
	Option		"Clone" "off"
EndSection

All of this gives me something that's definitely usable on a day-to-day
basis. It doesn't win any awards at displaying full-screen video, but it
meets my requirements. I couldn't get my laptop screen (Intel graphics)
working for a triple-head setup in Ubuntu 9.04, and I haven't bothered
trying for 9.10. I use vbetool to turn off my laptop's screen while it's
"docked" to the external monitors.

I may have butchered something horribly in getting this working, but
like I say, it Works For Me. Feedback's welcome, and I hope this helps
someone else get their DL adapters working. Thanks to the various people
that have gotten the Linux DL support to this state, and long may it
continue!

-Mike