[Libdlo] would like some advise about the sustainability of the libdlo project

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Fri Jan 1 11:54:21 PST 2010

Hello everybody,

I am considering buying a Lenovo USB-to-DVI Monitor Adapter[1] that
has a DisplayLink DL-195[2] chipset inside. Under Linux systems this
chipset seems to be handled by the libdlo project[3].

My question is, how good is the current DL-195, in the form of free
software compatibly, and how good can it be and when?

I am using Debian stable systems as reference point. If I plug in a
USB DisplayLink DL-195 based device will it work? And if it will not
work what is needed to get it working? And when will no additional
work be ever needed?

Having to compiling and installing code is an no go. Having to manual
configure configuration file is fine. Having to only plug in the
device and execute a xrandr command would be then wanted situation.

I have read about some proprietary elements in the software needed to
get the DisplayLink DL-195 working and maybe firmware issues? Those
problems are often impossible to overcome without switching to an
other product?

Will the USB video adapter be fully xrandr compatible, making it
possible to enable, disable and switch screens with xrandr commands?

Will a DisplayLink device every satisfy my basic demands of a USB to
DVI device? Should I buy a Lenovo USB-to-DVI Adapter?

[1] http://tinyurl.com/n2cchw
[2] http://www.displaylink.com/displaylink_hardware.html
[3] http://libdlo.freedesktop.org/wiki/

Thanks in advance for your advices,