[Libdlo] Live Console on Displaylink and Xorg running too?

B. Douglas Hilton doug at mechalogic.net
Fri Jan 15 04:49:56 PST 2010

After additional testing, I still haven't been able to get displaylink
to work in conjunction with the 1.6.5 radeon driver. The only combo
that works is main::fbdev usb::displaylink.

I'm wanting to get accelerated output on my main monitor, so I can work
on some OpenGL apps, but I'm loathe to just turn off the displaylink. I
would be happy to boot up linux and let it grab the displaylink as the
primary console, and run X on my main video card, except for the
following. When I start Xorg, the usb console stops updating, so I
can't have it displaying logs, or running an irc client. If I switch
back to the VC using Ctrl-Alt-F1 then X goes black, which is annoying.

I'd like to keep both screens "live" and just have the keyboard (and
possibly mouse) switch back and forth. Is this possible? Even if I
added a secondary keyboard for the console, it would still freeze up
when I switch to X.

Can I set the system to have "real consoles" instead of "virtual
consoles"? Any ideas on how to accomplish this or if its indeed
possible?

Also I'd like to know if anybody has gotten a displaylink to work in
Xrandr or Xinerama mode with radeon, or fglrx. (or anything other than
fbdev).

Cheers!