[Libdlo] EDID and dynamic modset issues

Bernie Thompson bernie at berniethompson.com
Tue Jan 19 08:18:54 PST 2010

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the good description.  Yep, the current code has a limitation of
only allocating the virtual framebuffer at one point - in probe() - based on
the EDID at that time.  The workaround from an end-user perspective is if
you need to switch monitors, also unplug/plug the DisplayLink device.

Just to understand priorities -- what's the scenario where you're connecting
and disconnecting monitors (while keeping the DisplayLink device connected)?

Thanks,
Bernie

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 7:11 AM, Todd Grayson <toddgrayson at yahoo.com> wrote:

> When using the latest git.plugable.com master branch as well as the
> displaylinkfb module I am getting issues with the framebuffer device size
> not being large enough to set different modes even though they are supported
> by the monitor.
>
> My understanding is that udlfb uses EDID to find the monitor's preferred
> mode. As a result it looks like when creating the framebuffer initially it
> is setting the memory size based on the returned resolution not allowing any
> resolution larger than that returned resolution.
>
> When trying to set the framebuffer size to a larger resolution than the one
> initially created using the fbset utility there is a returned error of:
>
> ioctl FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO: Invalid argument
>
> Setting the resolution to a smaller size works fine.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Bernie Thompson
Plugable Technologies
Bellevue, WA USA