[Libdlo] More notes Xorg 1.9

Christoph Rissner c.r at visotech.at
Mon Nov 15 10:51:33 PST 2010

Hi all,

I've had some more time to play with various configurations of
fbdev/displaylink and nvidia under Xorg 1.9.

The most interesting thing is that I found out why I can use the
displaylink driver together with nvidia but not the fbdev driver.

This is just an explicit check (xf86Bus.c, xf86PostProbe()) whether both
framebuffer and pci devices have been claimed, if so the server refuses
to start.
The displaylink driver just clears the corresponding fbSlotClaimed flag,
no more magic required. But, there is another (similar) check in
xf86ClaimFbSlot() (xf86fbBus.c) that, when claiming a frambuffer slot,
makes sure no PCI slot has been allocated, I guess thats the reason why
the displaylink driven device must be registered first (as primary screen).

As I wanted to test the fbdev driver (as Bernie suggested in another
thread), I just removed those fb-vs-pci checks from the X server, and
hey, it works. I'm pretty sure this test has a reason, but as long as it
works I'm willing to patch my X server.

Another thing I appreciate is that I no more have to hardcode the
Xinerama layout (I used to patch libxinerama), something in
Xserver-libxinerama-nvidia changed such that my screen configuration is
correctly recognized.

Thats the good(?) news, but I'm still not completely satisfied, at least
not so much to upgrade my "main" workstation.

As noted in
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libdlo/2010-November/000806.html,
my X server crashes when running twm on Xinerama, it's no difference
whether I use fbdev or displaylink drivers (and whether I use my patched
xorg-server or a vanilla version with displaylink). As soon as I click
on a window title bar (or try to move it otherwise), X crashes. Funny
thing, since I can resize the windows and/or just use it (xterm,
firefox), but as soon as I try to move it ...

Using e17 as WM is fine, moving, resizing, no crashes there. But, and I
have no idea where that comes from, when I move some window across a
monitor boundary, the udlfb screen goes all black and comes back after 1
or 2 seconds, working again. It's the same when dragging the window
from/to the udlfb monitor or across a boundary on my other device.
Any thoughts how I might fix that?
This is the main reason for me to stay on Xorg 1.8/displaylink.

Thanks,
Christoph