[Libdlo] Just got a Cables Unlimited usb-av2010 to test

akephart at akephart.org akephart at akephart.org
Wed Apr 6 07:57:29 PDT 2011

First, get the usb pid/vid values (XXXX:YYYY) for the target device with
'lsusb'.  Then, list the full descriptor set with 'lsusb -v -d
XXXX:YYYY'.  In the listing, you'll see one or more interface
descriptors, and each of those will have a value for bInterfaceClass.
That value will tell you what usb class the particular interface
supports, if any.  There is also a device class indication in the device
descriptor, but it will usually be set to a value that isn't directly
useful (e.g. defined at interface level or miscellaneous device, that
kind of thing).

If it's a spec-compliant HWA, it'll have bInterfaceClass=E0h (wireless
controller) and bInterfaceSubclass=02h (WUSB wire adapter).

It may also be defined as some kind of firmware download device (DFU or
similar), and sit expectantly for an intermediate driver to download the
firmware, which will then require the HWA driver.

It may also be completely vendor-specific, in which case all bets are
off.

-andrew