[Libdlo] 1. udlfb doesn't choose 1920x1200 and 2. mplayer shows no video on framebuffer

Bernie Thompson bernie at berniethompson.com
Wed Jun 22 16:24:40 PDT 2011

Hi Thomas,

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Thomas Siedlich
<thomas.siedlich at yahoo.com> wrote:
> You can see in syslog that 1920x1200 is a valid mode. But why chooses udlfb 1600x1200 instead?

Bill Katsak just submitted a patch for this today (a coincidence -
this bug has been there a long time, but he also was seeing a
problem). The patch has been applied at http://git.plugable.com

I don't have a setup which has this problem (it requires a monitor
which has one or more odd highres modes in its EDID), but if you grab
the latest udlfb from git.plugable.com and test, it'd be great to get
an email from you, if the patch resolves your issue.

> The next problem is:
> I tried to use the 1600x1200 framebuffer with mplayer:
> mplayer -vo fbdev:/dev/fb1 Sintel.2010.Theora-VODO.mp4
>
> mplayer plays the video (better: I see status messages and hear the audio) but nothing happens on the framebuffer. It stays green.

To run an app that doesn't know about udlfb's changed pixels/damage
ioctl, you'll need to enable fb_defio support (which is off by
default).  You can do this one time with

modprobe udlfb fb_defio=1

Or for permanent option, create file like /etc/modprobe.d/options.conf
with text:

options udlfb fb_defio=1

More detail is in the kernel doc
http://stuff.mit.edu:8001/afs/sipb.mit.edu/contrib/linux/Documentation/fb/udlfb.txt

Let us know if this gets mplayer working (the other common problem is
fbdev apps is many require a full VT, not just a framebuffer).

Best wishes,
Bernie
http://plugable.com/