[Libdlo] Linux DispayLink issues

Eugene Perepelitzki eugenep at wisair.com
Tue Mar 15 03:00:52 PDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-03-15 at 11:35 +0200, Martin Decky wrote:
> Hello folks,
> > 1. It have not real plug and play support, and when I disconnect
> device
> > from USB and then reconnect it, it is not working (X server driver
> > cannot restart it). This limitation make it hard to implement (and
> not
> > useful) for wireless USB case.
> > 2. It is working only in GNOME failsafe desktop mode.
> > 3. It is working only in multi screen mode and not as external
> monitor
> > (Xinerama off).
> I am not quite sure if I fully understand the reasons for these
> problems
> or the exact use cases you want to achieve (perhaps it might be
> helpful
> to describe your use cases explicitly in detail).
In case of wireless USB, device connection is more complicated task then
in usual USB. So we want be able to connect wireless USB video card to
host while X server is running.
User also don't want to restart laptop (for example) if he want to
connect it to external monitor or docking station.

> However, I'd bet that the root cause of these problems is still the
> same: The current architecture of X.Org X11 Server does not allow to
> load and unload graphics drivers dynamically or do any essential
> reconfiguration of the X server while it is running.

Is it possible to implement special x-driver which will care about plug
and play issue of USB/wireless USB connected video cards?

This mail was sent via Mail.wisair.com.