SMS support through MBIM

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Fri Jun 21 02:01:37 PDT 2013

Aleksander Morgado <aleksander at lanedo.com> writes:

> Hey,
>
> I spent some time working in SMS support for MBIM modems in
> ModemManager. I got two branches working now:
>  * 'aleksander/sms' branch in libmbim
>  * 'aleksander/mbim-sms' branch in ModemManager

Yes, I noticed but didn't really have time to test.  Just tried a bit
with the MC7710.  Will try the DWM156 when I get home.

Will also do more testing on the MC7710.  Just some preliminary results
to let you know that I am still here :)

> There doesn't seem to be a way in MBIM to configure which SMS storages
> to use; the modem should handle a 'virtual' storage so that the user
> does not need to worry about. Also, there doesn't seem to be a way of
> storing new SMS messages without sending them, so Store() is useless.
>
> But then, my Huawei MBIM device has the following specific issues:
>
>  * The modem doesn't use SMS_READ notifications to notify about new
> messages. Instead, a new 'SMS_MESSAGE_STORE_STATUS' indication is sent,
> which I thought should only be used for flash non-class 0 messages.
>
>  * My Huawei modem doesn't store these newly received messages, so when
> MM is rebooted no SMS messages are found when listing them.
>
>  * On a related note, telling the modem which notifications are enabled
> or disabled with DEVICE_SERVICE_SUBSCRIBER_LIST doesn't seem to have any
> effect. Even if I disable all notifications of a given service, they
> don't seem to get really disabled in the modem (e.g. the signal info one).
>
> Can any of you check how other MBIM devices behave?
>
> Relevant mmcli commands would be:
>
>  * Send SMS with:
>  $> mmcli -m 0 --messaging-create-sms="number=1234,text=something"
>  Successfully created new SMS:
> 	/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SMS/0 (unknown)
>
>  $> mmcli -s 0 --send
>  successfully sent the SMS

Sending like that worked fine on the MC7710.

> And when receiving a new message, check the logs and look for a
> "Received flash message" log... or just send back the full log and I'll
> look at it.

But I got absolutely nothing when receiving.  Tried a couple of times,
but no indication or anything else appeared in the ModemManager debug
output.

So I repeated with my old perl debugging script and got this indication,
which looks like the one you describe the Huawei modem is sending:

[Fri Jun 21 10:39:24 2013] read 52 bytes from /dev/cdc-wdm0
        at <eval>(unknown source)
        at main::read_mbim(/home/bjorn/privat/prog/git/wwan/scripts/mbim.pl:1493)
        at main::(/home/bjorn/privat/prog/git/wwan/scripts/mbim.pl:1658)

---
07 00 00 80 34 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 53 3f be eb 14 fe 44 67 9f 90 33 a2 23 e5 6c 3f 05 00 00 00 08 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 0f 00 00 00
---
MBIM_MESSAGE_HEADER
  MessageType:  0x80000007 (MBIM_INDICATE_STATUS_MSG)
  MessageLength:        52
  TransactionId:        0
MBIM_FRAGMENT_HEADER
  TotalFragments:       1
  CurrentFragment:      0
SMS (533fbeeb-14fe-4467-9f90-33a223e56c3f)
MBIM_CID_SMS_MESSAGE_STORE_STATUS (5)
InformationBuffer [8]:
  Flags:        MBIM_SMS_FLAG_NEW_MESSAGE (2)
  MessageIndex: 15

Any idea why I don't see these in ModemManager?

Bjørn