ERROR: mbim message timeout - (using umbim on OpenWRT)

Peter Gerten peter.gerten at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 12 02:36:56 PDT 2015

Hi Aleksander,

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 5:04 PM, Aleksander Morgado <
aleksander at aleksander.es> wrote:

> umbim isn't based on libmbim, so this is not the proper place to ask.
> You should ask in the openwrt mailing list, as they are the ones who
> wrote it.
>
> thanks for the info, I was not aware of that.

> Anyway, maybe someone reading this mailing list may help?
>
> > All of the modem work fine on Ubuntu 14.04 with ModemManager.
>
> Well, then that's good news for libmbim :)
>
> Although the ModemManager mysteriously work (I use the nm-aplet UI in
Ubuntu), I could reproduce a behavior similar to umbim with mbimcli:

peter at x240:~$ sudo mbimcli -d /dev/cdc-wdm1 --query-device-caps
[/dev/cdc-wdm1] Device capabilities retrieved:
          Device type: 'embedded'
       Cellular class: 'gsm'
          Voice class: 'embedded'
            Sim class: 'removable'
           Data class: 'gprs, edge, umts, hsdpa, hsupa, custom'
             SMS caps: 'pdu-receive, pdu-send'
            Ctrl caps: 'reg-manual, hw-radio-switch'
         Max sessions: '8'
    Custom data class: 'HSPA+'
            Device ID: '862595020074379'
        Firmware info: '11.350.16.17.00'
        Hardware info: 'ML1ME936M'

peter at x240:~$ sudo mbimcli -d /dev/cdc-wdm1 --query-device-caps
error: operation failed: Transaction timed out

Again, the is difficult for me to reproduce as I can sometimes call it
several times in a row without timeout. This happens with mbimcli 1.6.0 (as
shipped with Ubuntu 14.04) as well as with mbimcli 1.13.0 which I just
built from the latest sources on the git repository.

Regards

Peter