ERROR: mbim message timeout - (using umbim on OpenWRT)

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Mar 12 07:18:12 PDT 2015

On Thu, 2015-03-12 at 13:27 +0100, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Aleksander Morgado <aleksander at aleksander.es> writes:
> > On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 10:36 AM, Peter Gerten
> > <peter.gerten at googlemail.com> wrote:

> >> thanks for the info, I was not aware of that.

> >> Although the ModemManager mysteriously work (I use the nm-aplet UI in
> >> Ubuntu), I could reproduce a behavior similar to umbim with mbimcli:
> >>
> >> peter at x240:~$ sudo mbimcli -d /dev/cdc-wdm1 --query-device-caps
> >> [/dev/cdc-wdm1] Device capabilities retrieved:
> >>           Device type: 'embedded'
> >>        Cellular class: 'gsm'
> >>           Voice class: 'embedded'
> >>             Sim class: 'removable'
> >>            Data class: 'gprs, edge, umts, hsdpa, hsupa, custom'
> >>              SMS caps: 'pdu-receive, pdu-send'
> >>             Ctrl caps: 'reg-manual, hw-radio-switch'
> >>          Max sessions: '8'
> >>     Custom data class: 'HSPA+'
> >>             Device ID: '862595020074379'
> >>         Firmware info: '11.350.16.17.00'
> >>         Hardware info: 'ML1ME936M'
> >>
> >> peter at x240:~$ sudo mbimcli -d /dev/cdc-wdm1 --query-device-caps
> >> error: operation failed: Transaction timed out
> >>
> >> Again, the is difficult for me to reproduce as I can sometimes call it
> >> several times in a row without timeout. This happens with mbimcli 1.6.0 (as
> >> shipped with Ubuntu 14.04) as well as with mbimcli 1.13.0 which I just built
> >> from the latest sources on the git repository.
> >
> > If you want to run mbimcli at the same time as ModemManager uses the
> > MBIM port, then you need to run mbimcli with the --device-open-proxy
> > (or short, '-p'), so that it uses the MBIM Proxy setup in libmbim to
> > share the MBIM port (available since libmbim 1.10.0 and MM 1.4).
>
> But then you have to make sure that ModemManager uses the proxy too, or
> you will experience exactly the same behaviour as described above.

Good point.  git master does, but 1.4.x doesn't.  I cherry-picked that
patch, and since MM 1.4.x already requires libmbim 1.10+ we don't need
any additional version checking.

Aleksander, if you think it's a problem to use the proxy in 1.4 by
default, feel free to revert the cherry-pick I pushed?

Dan