libQMI - developed and extended….

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Oct 24 07:35:19 PDT 2011

On Sun, 2011-10-23 at 16:50 +0200, Markus Gothe wrote:
> Last night I sat up hacking at the GobiDrivers and figured out a way to speedup the probing of modems (and some other tweaks)... By whitelisting the EPs for the specific VID (& PID)... Pretty much inspired by the option and sierra-net drivers. Now from taking a very long time on probing non-Gobi-modems it's is blazing fast. ;-) Apparently I applied the endian-fixes correctly, but one thing bothers me... the MEID. What is it and how is it represented. I know it is like 14 bytes. (Fixing that to be endian-wise will make me go crazy on bit-operations ;-) )...

It's the Mobile Equipment Identifier, which is the CDMA equivalent of
the IMEI that GSM/UMTS/LTE use.  All devices that support CDMA/EVDO will
have an MEID.

But good work on making that part faster, the code there does a lot of
stuff it doesn't really need to do...

In the end though, a lot of the device detection code in there is
completely bogus.  What the process *should* be is to grab the port's
kernel driver name via udev, and if the device is driven by qcserial or
qcnet (when that ever gets merged), then handle it.  The code does a lot
of sysfs parkour that could be completely eliminated by just talking to
udev instead.

> Elly, I see in the Chronium src that you've replaced the khtread with a workqueue. What's the reason for this and not using a tasklet?

That I'm not 100% sure about.

Dan