Maximum QMI request size?

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at lanedo.com
Sun Aug 19 23:59:43 PDT 2012

>> The theoretical maximum size is a little over 64k, since the length field
>> is 16 bits.  I think it would make sense to use that as a maximum in the
>> kernel.
>
> Yes, maybe.  It just feels a bit wrong to allocate 64k buffers if no
> message can exceed 1.5k.  And I have not yet seen any larger message in
> any direction.
>
> I am deliberately ignoring the possibility of sending multiple QMI
> messages in a single QMUX.  The device won't do that, and I have not
> observed anything like that from the Windows driver either.

The weirdest TLV I've seen for now related to length is the "Preferred
Roaming List" (0x13) in the "DMS/Activate Manual" message. This TLV
allows a buffer of binary data of up to 16384 bytes, *but* the buffer
may be split into different segments of shorter sizes and sent over
multiple QMI messages. It doesn't answer any question I think :-)