Huawei E3276 problem

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Nov 8 12:17:53 PST 2012

On Thu, 2012-11-08 at 20:47 +0100, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Thomas Schäfer <tschaefer at t-online.de> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > The logfiles show that your modem switches from:
> >
> > 12d1:14fe
> > 12d1:1506
> >
> > Which kernel did you use with the attached dmesg.log?
> >
> > Since kernel 3.4  12d1:1506 should work with option and qmi_wwan.
>
> Nope, not necessarily.  Huawei obviously have more firmware code bases
> than product IDs ;-)
>
> You need to look at the class codes.  Devices with subclass 01 are fine,
> devices with subclass 02 are not.  The device Olof got is one of those
> based on "Jungo" firmware, and they are not supported by the qmi_wwan
> driver.

I always wondered what the "Jungo" devices that were mentioned in that
driver were.  Now I know :)  I got my driver out of the bits from
HuaweiE173Eu-1_Linux.7z which I forget where I found it.

It was somewhat interesting that it does QMI in the driver
(GetConnectionStatus or something like that) to set the carrier.  Also,
any idea what the "VDF" thing means?  The driver I'm looking at has
matches for:

mbb_NDIS_OPTIMIZED_INTERFACE
mbb_NDIS_OPTIMIZED_INTERFACE_VDF
mbb_NDIS_OPTIMIZED_INTERFACE_JUNGO
mbb_NDIS_OPTIMIZED_INTERFACE_VDF_JUNGO

but doesn't lock to USB product IDs, just 12d1 + class/subclass/proto.

Dan