Netgear 340u

Ramesh Siripurapu ramesh.siripurapu at aptiwiz.com
Thu Oct 8 16:11:29 PDT 2015

This thread has been very helpful. Netgear 340u has been a pain in the rear.  I've had exact same problem as this thread poster. My hotplug scripts switch the modem from MBIM mode to QMI mode. And qmi bringup scripts  set wda-set-data-format=802-3 before doing anything else. Network gets started successfully, but DHCP client wouldn't get any address. I don't see any TX/RX bytes incrementing in ifconfig.

After banging my head for a day, figured that cdc-mbim is the culprit. Once I remove that module, then everything is good. I guess that module binding to modem when it was in MBIM mode and then switching to QMI, unbinding cdc-mbim and qmi_wwan binding is causing firmware go bonkers. It isn't sending out any Bo packets although usbmon shows it is sending out Bo packets.

Hope this helps someone fighting with newer firmwares.