qmicli stable output?

Nick mips171 at icloud.com
Tue Oct 27 23:04:19 UTC 2020

Hey,

I am collaborating with OpenWISP to add support for charting signal strength information from ModemManager, QMI and MBIM modems.  This will allow for up to 1 year of real signal strength history for devices managed by OpenWISP.

ModemManager makes this very easy with the -K option, but we would like to ensure we can get signal strength even if a SIM is not inserted, so what we are thinking is using qmicli's --nas-get-signal-strength or --nas-get-signal-info command.  Is parsing these the  best way to get stable output from QMICLI?  To me, the difference appears that the signal-strength shows both access technologies, while signal-info shows the currently used access technology, is that right?

Best,
Nick