[Libreoffice-qa] [Libreoffice] Naming builds. Please???

Andras Timar timar74 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 04:06:18 PST 2011

Hi Pedro,

2011/12/3 Pedro Lino <pedlino at gmail.com>:
> Hi all
>
> This is my final request about this subject.
>
> Can you please make some sense out of the version naming convention?
>
> I was about to reinstall version 3.4.4 (after it was overwritten by
> 3.5.0 Beta0) and I already had an unpacked install folder on my
> desktop. The only way I could verify that it was for 3.4.4 final, was
> to run the installer and check what would be the name of the generated
> folder. Since it had the same code (4eb10e5c) it was the same
> version...

LibreOffice 3.5 will not unpack anything to desktop. But we can't
change the past... :)

> Another situation: I download a master build from a tinderbox. How do
> I know the build included? How do I know if the source it was
> generated from is newer or older than the one I already have? Easy.
> Just install, open the About box and check if 4f11d0a-adcf6d5-c4bb9bd
> is greater or smaller than 4f11d0a-adcf6d5-c4b29bd (just an example)

You can check what's included and what's not, when you visit
for example http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/log/?qt=range&q=4f11d0a
Those magic numbers in About box are git commit IDs.

> If the latest final version was named 3.4.4 and build was 402 couldn't
> it simple be named 3.3.4.402?
>
> And this new version can't it be simply named 3.5.0.xxx???
>
> And keep this code constant in the installer, the about box, the
> master builds, etc?

It is not possible to bump a build number each time a build is
produced, because many people produce builds, not only one central
build server.
Released betas and RCs of course come from a single source (i.e. TDF)
so you will see their version form their file names.

Best regards,
Andras