[Libreoffice-qa] Java 7 support in LO 3.4.5 (was: [Libreoffice] minutes of tech. steering call ...)

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Tue Dec 13 04:02:10 PST 2011

On Mon, 2011-12-12 at 19:53 +0000, Pedro Lino wrote:
> Uninstalled Java 6 rev 29.
> Run LO 3.4.4. Executed File, Wizard, Letter. Reported missing Java
> Run LOdev 3.5.0 Build ID: f923851-7f15fca-1f1fd1a-ca8e46d-5bcbce4.
> Executed File, Wizard, Letter. LOdev crashed.

	Gosh; when you say 'crashed' - it took down the whole office suite ?
that is a pretty horrendous existing bug it'd be nice to fix.

> Conclusion
> LO 3.4.4 works like a charm but won't detect Java 7;

	Right there is no support there.

> LO 3.5.0 crashes on Wizard execution if Java is not installed or was
> not detected. Works as expected when Java is detected or selected.

	So - on this basis, it sounds like supporting Java 7 is something we
should be doing, if only to avoid the crashes when it is not present ;-)
Having said that - the relevant components will be disabled if there was
no Java on the system at install time.

> One question: if both Java versions are installed and I do not specify
> which one to use, which version is used?

	You can select it in tools->options IIRC, otherwise the latest version.

	Thanks so much for testing,

	ATB,

		Michael.