[Libreoffice-qa] Operation Spamzilla

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Sun Dec 25 16:30:46 PST 2011

Hi Alexander,

Alexander Thurgood wrote:
> Well I woke up to over 2000 e-mails in my inbox this morning - as I
> mentioned on the QA list, I somehow knew that was going to happen, but
> still, I was not impressed.

I am very sorry to hear that. As written in the original mail, I would have
refrained from doing the bulk change, if there would have been a clear veto.
There was none but instead there was quite some encouragement. I would have
replied to your question on the -qa list, if I had seen it. I am not subscribed
to libreoffice-qa (so far, I hestitated to do so as I get >200 mails per days
as is). As the list is not on nabble.documentfoundation.org, which I use to
keep an overview of unsubscribed lists, I just kept a look at:

 http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.qa

which I just realized misses out a lot of mails, which is _very_ unfortunate in
this case.

> If you effect the change you mention, I will receive potentially thousands of
> e-mail notifications in my mailbox, similar to the changes you made earlier
> this week, and which I had to then try and separate out from the new bug
> reports being declared.

There is rather easy to do: Bugzilla sends a "X-Bugzilla-Who:" header field,
which you could send your Mailfilter after.

> My issue with that is that I appear to be subscribed by default to all
> new bugs ever created (I don't know why this is so, but it is).

Well, that is really odd. It is most certainly _not_ the default and if you
dont know why this is the case, it is a misconfiguration that should be
investigated. As Rainer reported, he got a few hundred emails, but for endusers
the impact should have been be rather limited -- there are no more than 13
people with more that 10 reported NEEDINFO bugs.

> I'm taking a break from QA.

I am very sorry to hear this. Even if I would unfortunatetly have missed your
first mail anyway (see above), I would have expected anyone considering such
severe steps to voice a clear veto to my mail. Is there any way I can heal the
damage done to your confidence in the project?

All the Best and a sincere Sorry,

Bjoern