[Libreoffice-qa] minutes of ESC call ...

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 13:02:45 PDT 2012

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Francois Tigeot <ftigeot at wolfpond.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 09:09:34AM -0500, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:

>> > I'd like to know a bit more about this item; Norbert, would you prefer real
>> > boxes if possible ?
>>
>> We do not have the resources for that.. but if you volunteer such a
>> box... sure, by all means...
>
> There was some talk recently in the DragonFly BSD project about providing
> test boxes for external developers; I'm collecting information in that
> context.
>
>> what is needed ?
>> - a box that do build, preferably in reasonable time... but since
>> right now there are no *BSD tinderbox, anytime is more reasonable than
>> +inf :-)
>
> We were thinking of Xeon E3 machines, perhaps in a mini-cluster form like
> this one:
> http://www.supermicro.nl/products/nfo/MicroCloud.cfm
>
>> - download the contrib/buildbot repo  :
> [...]
>> and when the time comes, register your box there... be mindful of the
>> naming convention...
>
> If boxes are finally set up, they will be DragonFly + pkgsrc packages only,
> special software will have to be maintained by the developers themselves.
> I won't be able to help on that front, my hands are already full integrating
> LO into pkgsrc :-/

what do you mean by 'special software' ?

Right now the tinbuild2 scrip does make clean + make... but that can
be overridden via a local extension to redifine do_make and do_clean
function (or any other do_* function, so it _could_ call pkgsrc ... in
fact the tinbuild2 implementation is very much inspired by emerge
(gentoo) so that should be familiar... there are 'build' phases
(clean, autogen, make, test, push) each of them have a pre/do/post
step that can be used.
you can develop extension completely locally and we could integrate
them later as a platform specific extension in tinderbuild2 itself.

The goal would be for that box to be doing what _you_ would normally
do to build lo on your platform, so that breakage are detected
early...
you can set it up so that it report to the web-service, but not
necessarily spam everybody, if most of the breakage are related to the
build system rather than the product itself
(see the -m options to control email spamming and tinderbox reporting)

Norbert