[Libreoffice-qa] Online update in 3.6

Pedro pedlino at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 15:47:24 PDT 2012

Jan Holesovsky wrote

> I plan to remove the RC information from there when the 3.6 is final,
> and will present just 3.6.0 in the update dialog.  I think the testers
> of the pre-release versions know what is going on, and the real users
> will not see that, so I hope we are good :-)

Remove manually?

Wouldn't it be easier to have a table on the server like

Version RC
3.5.4.1 True
3.5.4.2 False
etc
3.6.0.4 True

When 3.6.0.4 (or any RC) changes to Release you just need a script that
compares the CRC or MD5 or whatever of the RC to the Stable build and
changes True to False.

This would also allow a user which hasn't updated his 3.5.4.1 build to get
some information. E.g.

"The installed version is LibreOffice 3.5.4.1 which is a Release Candidate
The latest stable release for the 3.5 branch is version 3.5.5.3
The latest release candidate for the 3.5 branch is version 3.5.6.1
The "bleeding edge" release candidate is version 3.6.0.4

 (why do you insist on hiding the last digit in the Update dialog???)

My suggestion is that someone who is running an RC version (checked against
the list on the server) is probably interested in other RCs. However this
could be manually changed in some setting?

Just more thoughts... I hope someone finds them interesting enough...

Regards,
Pedro