[Libreoffice-qa] tag for bugs related to experimental turned on/off

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Wed Mar 14 04:44:49 PDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 08:25:11PM +0100, Cor Nouws wrote:
> >A feature is either stable enough to be included even with "experimental
> >enabled" or it is not. If you care about macros, help out getting it stable
> >enough to be moved out of "experimental" an into the general feature set.
>
> Hmm, macro recording has been stable for years. Of limited use, OK,
> but still: it worked and did help out in various cases. Also for me
> it is of some use, now and then. And I've even been able to do handy
> things with it in a demo.

My point is: having features either unstable or incomplete in "experimental"
_and_ not being worked on active is ... rather unfortunate. If such things
happen, such features should get a hard look and it should be reconsidered if
it should receive some serious additional ressources or if may be better to
drop the feature. Sometimes there is a reason for features to be incomplete ...

> It looks logic to suggest that people that are too unhappy with
> current macro-recording functionality, stand up to improve it,
> rather then to hide it, and with the same strike, expose people that
> do use the recording to undocumented risks.

I know little about the macro recording, but it seems to me that the problem is
that the current implementation is incomplete and essential impossible to
complete with the current design. Adding it to the default install would swamp
us with requests to complete it -- which would be quite difficult.

Best,

Bjoern