[Libreoffice-qa] LibreOffice QA call 2012-03-23 15:00UTC

Cor Nouws oolst at nouenoff.nl
Fri Mar 23 06:56:51 PDT 2012

Hi Bjoern, all,

Bjoern Michaelsen wrote (21-03-12 20:16)
> prototype agenda:

Already some notes for making writing the minutes easier:

>   * action item review

>    - Provide Cor with suitable queries (Rainer)

Rainer send me great stuff for finding bug submitters.
I have also looked a bit a possibilities to query for commenters.
Goal is to get at least some data about people doing a lot of comments.

>    - Update/Create active triagers wiki page (Cor/Rainer)

TBD

>    - Publish Rainers charts'n data on blog/planets (Cor)

TBD

>    - collect further ideas for spending a dedicated resource (Cor/Rainer)

TDB
Looking at the queries-question (see before) and the approach I intend
(see further below), it might make sense to ask the freeDesktop-people
to make it possible to query for
  - number of comments by one person over more issues
  - where the number of comments might be grouped per issue
  (and of course all the other arguments such as component etc. still
can be used)

>    - Set Cor up with the Community/Forum maintainers at the distros
>      to better propagate Hackfests, Bug Hunting Sessions etc.
>      (Bjoern, Petr, Caolan, others?)

TBD

>   * bugwrangling (Rainer)
>     - release plan discussion redux

There was quite some discussion in the time before 3.5 release. Which
led to a few changes and some questions that remained open.
I haven't yet picked up that thread to discuss with e.g. Petr about
things that were good or can be improved a bit.

>   * community building/communication (Cor)
>     - https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/Easy_Hacks

Thanks for those!
QA-team building is part of the broader situation.
The regular QA work (thus testing and handling bugs) is build with
people, tooling and coordination.
People have several 'roles', I think:
  - users just finding a bug and submitting it
  - people testing new versions (daily, beta, RC)
  - localisers (doing regular checks for certain items)
  - structured testers (Litmus)
  - developers (a kind on its own)

When approaching people for possibly getting more involved in the
QA-team, I think it is good to distinct for these roles, as well as for
what each individual has done so far. Someone that has submitted bugs,
bit did not do any triage, or comment on other issues, probably has
another interest and background then people doing triage regularly.

I think it is a good practice if we try to contact people who submit
some more bugs and start thanking them for their involvement and asking
if there is anything they miss, any question we might help with or if
they have any suggestions.
Then the people doing more triage by e.g. commenting, are the people
that we really should learn better. Those are the ones we can actively
invite to have contact, join meetings, poll for interest for e.g.
special-topic-triages.
Of course, for the rest, being open and inviting is a key quality for an
FLOSS community.

I like to contribute to this area. But since it has to fit in between
other stuff that I can't ignore, it takes time ...
I hope my ideas on this are clear. Suggestions & comments welcome.
First step is to continue on getting data from BugZilla.
Then I can do some attempts to contact people in various roles and see
how that works out.

Regards,

--
  - Cor