[Libreoffice-qa] minutes of ESC call ...

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Tue Nov 27 08:54:17 PST 2012

Pedro píše v So 24. 11. 2012 v 07:07 -0800:
> Stephan Bergmann-2 wrote
> > I wonder whether it would not
> > make most sense to drop LOdev's special handling of user profiles and
> > instead educate people on how to manually set up an installation's user
> > profile behavior to suit their specific needs:
>
> IMO asking for user input is better than "educating". Of course, when you
> ask for user input you are also limiting and controlling the odd scenarios
> (i.e. instead of the installer having to predict all oddball situations, the
> user will provide the needed information and the software only has to adapt
> to one or two different combinations...)
>
> Forcing people to comply to a perfect situation from a developer's point of
> view will alienate users.
>
> So my only point is: if the devs want users to do early testing they should
> be prepared to listen ;)

We listen :-) Well, the testing can be done even with Dev builds. I
installed the daily build from
http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/Linux-x86_64_11-Release-Configuration/master/current/
and did the following steps:

1. started the official libreoffice3.6, modified some settings, and stopped it
2. removed ~/.config/libreoffice/3/MIGRATED
3. removed ~/.config/lodev/4
4. started lodev4.0

Result: Most of the setting changes were migrated.

The only problem I found was Tools/Options/LibreOffice/Appearance
because there are named schemes (LibreOffice vs. LoDev). Well, this can
be tested as well if you create your own scheme.

IMHO, the question is if we really need to spend resources on special
dialog or special support. Note that we do not migrate configuration
between minor releases. So this testing is needed only once every few
years.

Another solution would be to build 4.0-betas with release
configuration. I guess that it can be installed in parallel with LO-3
even on Windows because it uses another prefix, ...  How does that
sound?

Best Regards,
Petr