[Libreoffice-qa] Calc quality and compatibility tests

Pedro pedlino at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 02:54:04 PST 2013

Hi Markus

Markus Mohrhard wrote
>> I'm not sure I follow your logic here. There are major structural changes
>> needed so it's best not to touch it? Is it like a wasp's nest?
>
> It means that it is not as easy as you imagine it. All these large
> refactoring normally feel for a Calc developer like a open heart
> transplantation so we are very conservative in major changes there.

I never said it was easy (I never imagined it was easy!). But it seemed like
an option to avoid doing the heart transplantation definitely (or to ignore
the heart condition in the hope that it would heal itself or not get worst
if it was ignored :) ). Michael already explained what he meant.

Markus Mohrhard wrote
> No. The target is to be OpenFormula compatible and then as second step
> check how to be as good in opening Excel files as possible. Our native
> format is ODF with OpenFormula so this is our main target and we
> should make always sure to support it as good as possible. Then our
> next goal is to support Excel roundtrips which is not always trivial
> as not all concepts between the two can be mapped and our calc formula
> model is built around ODF. We are working on improving the support for
> both Excel and OpenFormula but these are long term goals.

That is an interesting statement (and probably the most sincere I have
read). It makes perfect sense but if only the first goal is achieved then
LibreOffice will become an isolated island...

Markus Mohrhard wrote
> So if you want to help out the best thing right now is to go through
> these files and use the working corner cases in them to create test
> files that we can use in our existing tests.

I will look into this.

Thank you for your answer and suggestions ;)

Kind regards,
Pedro