[Libreoffice-qa] Fwd: User Ideas page to collect and vote on ideas

Mirosław Zalewski miniopl at poczta.onet.pl
Sun May 19 08:43:57 PDT 2013

Hi

It sounds great, but (there are always buts...).

First, we already have a way for users to vote on ideas. It's on the wiki:
<https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Vote_for_Enhancement>
There are two problems with it:
1. Most users don't really know such page exists.
2. Ideas are put on page, voted for and then... nothing. No one takes care of
them (maybe it means that developers are unaware of such page?).

Are these problems unsolvable in wiki? Do we need to setup another site to
overcome these obstacles? Will these problems cease to exist on another
platform?

Second. I have some KDE SC background. On their forums, they have great
"Brainstorm" section. Users may put their ideas, vote for them and discuss.
The problems is, there are great ideas with hundreds of votes that just rot
there for years. There is huge demand for them by users, but no one is
interested in implementing them.
Yes, I know how open source software works. You can't really force anybody to
code anything. But what is a use of ideas page if they are never implemented
by developers?
BTW: could developers agree that one feature from top ten on such page will be
implemented for each major release? Or maybe should we go into crowdfunding?

While I fully support the idea to involve users and make them more part of
community, I wanted to point out some issues that must be solved before.
Technical work (putting project page together) is really the easiest in all
process.
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski