[Libreoffice-qa] Portable vs Parallel: which one is better?

Pedro pedlino at gmail.com
Mon May 20 11:06:20 PDT 2013

Hi Tommy

Tommy wrote
> I'll try asking about the 3.6.6

Thanks! ;)

Tommy wrote
> I think that the whole portable X-LibO repository from winPenPack could be
> a valuable tool for QA guys.

It is indeed. Actually it seems that the developers of wPP are more in the
Open Source spirit than the guys at PortableApps. Maybe TDF should buddy up
with the wPP also (or instead?)

Tommy wrote
> IMHO it's much easier to deal with no-install packages rather than
> parallel installations.

It is a double edged sword. On one hand it is indeed much easier. On the
other hand since the packages need to be modified it is difficult to be sure
if the observed behaviour is caused by LibreOffice or the hacks used to make
it Portable...  As Florian said the parallel install uses the same "vanilla"
binaries and registry keys so it is less modified than a portable version.

But thanks to you I'm now a fan of X-LibreOffice :)

BTW One very important detail: you can run as many X-LibreOffice versions
simultaneously and at the same time as the standard install AND parallel
installs.

Goodbye PortableApps, Hello winPenPack :)