[Libreoffice-qa] LibreOffice Bugzilla (migration) Proposal

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 09:35:13 PST 2013

On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 6:41 AM, bfoman <bfo.bugmail at spamgourmet.com> wrote:
> Hi!
> I would propose to:
> - search for fulltime Bugzilla administrator and his deputies before
> migration - they will be responsible for updating and managing installation

Thanks, added.

> - consider sending out explanation before, during and after the migration to
> all LO product reporters, people on cc lists

I think notification before the migration is prudent, but I'm hesitant
to send them emails both during and after migration, as they might
perceive that as us spamming them.

> - draft complete FAQ about the rationale

The proposal includes some rationale about the migration, but that
section could definitely be expanded. I'm not sure what a "complete
FAQ" would entail -- is there anything in particular that you'd like
to see added or described?

> - change password for all migrated users and include reset password link in
> welcome message

+1, that sounds prudent

> - all personal searches, settings, tags, collected new chart data etc.
> should stay intact

If we clone the instance and stay on the same version of Bugzilla, I
believe all of this data will transfer correctly.

> - migrate to latest stable Bugzilla - to receive new features from day one.
> Currently it is  4.4.1 (or at least update to latest used branch version -
> atm it is 4.2.7).

If we update Bugzilla at the same time as we perform the migration,
that may cause breakage, and it may be difficult to determine what
step broke what part of the system. I really want to upgrade to the
latest and greatest Bugzilla, too, but I suggest that we wait a week
or so after the initial migration before we consider any upgrades or
tweaks, to make the migration go as smoothly as possible.

> - not enabling e-mail gateway

We should discuss this; I don't use the email gateway, but maybe
there's a legitimate use?

> - enabling whining system (it is half enabled at FDO)

(docs: http://www.bugzilla.org/docs/tip/en/html/whining.html)

No complaints from me...

> - put the source code of our Bugzilla into repository, as it will be
> modified and customized for sure (preferably by extensions system and not
> direct code changes)

+1. I believe/hope that all of our installed tools live in git repos
somewhere :-)

> - setup test install based on latest unstable Bugzilla code for experiments
> - write a draft of new security and build-in features' use settings of new
> install - probably using
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/How_to_Improve_Bugzilla and
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA-ImprovingBugzilla

These all seem like good suggestions for the post-migration phase.

> - consider to build-in BSA into Bugzilla as guided template - example
> https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=LibreOffice&format=guided%E2%80%8E&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED

Neat -- I didn't know that Bugzilla had guided templates like that.
That's pretty slick!

Cheers,
--R