[Libreoffice-qa] BSA 2.0 - First Draft of Concept Questions

Jay Philips philipz85 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 11 05:29:33 PDT 2014

On 09/11/2014 04:40 AM, Joel Madero wrote:

> On 09/10/2014 04:32 PM, Jay Philips wrote:
>> Hey Joel,
>>
>> Yes i think a step by step process is a nice user friendly way to go.
>> When Calligra Words crashed on me, their step by step bug report was fun
>> to go through.
>>
>> About your doc, here are some thoughts.
>>
>> 1) I'm assuming that many users coming to the BSA are coming through the
>> Help > Send Feedback menu item and the libreoffice version number will
>> be provided through this link, so the first question should be for the
>> user to enter in the libreoffice version they are using and that the
>> list be automatically set to the version present in the link. After the
>> user selects his version, or simply clicks ok as his version is already
>> selected, then either it takes him to the 'please upgrade your version'
>> notice or step 2.
> Not sure I'm following this.

About suggestion 1, when a user goes to Help > Send Feedback, its a link
that looks like this <
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/feedback/?LOversion=4.4.0.0.alpha0&LOlocale=en-US&LOmodule=StartModule
> and in the LOversion part of the url, that is the libreoffice version
number, so that should be used to automatically set it in the drop down.

Forgot to mention that in the 'Reproducible Steps:' step, the module
selection should be there as well, and the link mentioned above will
also help in its auto selection.

>> 2) I think we should ask them to download the latest stable/still
>> version if they are running an EOL version or if they are on an older
>> version of the current stable/still.
> I strongly disagree - if it's fixed in Fresh - that is sufficient 95% of
> the time (ie. we're not going to go dig through to find a backport if
> stable isn't fixed). The idea here is to lessen the load on QA, not to
> increase, and this would increase it. Else they download stable, confirm
> that their minor bug is still in it, report, we find that it's fixed in
> Fresh, and just set to WFM. This is not the ideal situation. They can
> always download stable - we'll just direct them to the Fresh page, if
> they go to the Stable branch, fine.
>
>> 3) Step 2 should be asking the user for his operating system, with that
>> being automatically selected by means of javascript through the user's
>> browser agent (florian already has that code).
> Takes more work to implement. Florian's thing is a concept, not
> currently workable without additional steps by user.

The main point here is that step 2 should be the user choosing his
operating system and the javascript can assist with that selection. If
the javascript is never implemented, that is also not a problem for this
to be step 2. This should be very easy to implement and Liongold or I
can assist with it with Florian's code.

>> 3) Step 3 should be asking them if this is a bug report or an
>> enhancement request and this step should be skipped if the user clicks
>> the two different links on <
>> http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/feedback/ >, as presently they link
>> to the same page.
> Again this takes more work and coding WITHIN LibreOffice but I'm not
> opposed to the idea.

I'm assuming cloph or Liongold can easily make this minor change and
worst case, i'll can do it if i get the keys. :D