[Libreoffice-ux-advise] drawing toolbar interactions

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Mon Aug 1 08:30:23 PDT 2011

Hi Christophe,

On Mon, 2011-08-01 at 13:22 +0200, Christoph Noack wrote:
> No, no mis-understanding in general - it is about whether people are
> able to understand the behavior. Simply "enabling a toolbar icon" isn't
> enough in such case. Example:

	Ah - ok; well - we could turn the grid on while in this mode to provide
some visual indication ;-) presumably it is most useful when drawing.

> In our case it seems, that we want to copy a fragment (sticky behavior)
> of this "advanced drawing capability" for e.g. Draw/Impress - without
> thinking what will be the consequences.

	Nah - we're asking you to think about the consequences :-) and Federico
has a reasonably complete proposal I guess, might be better to put it
into the wiki so it can be edited, but ...

> At the end, it it about whether our users can cope with such behavior
> and whether it is an improvement for them. At the moment, I don't have
> sufficient information to provide a (guessed) statement.

	Well - we have at least one user complaining about it, and one that has
a lot of relevant UI experience, and who has provided a patch :-) If
there is no data on whether users can cope either way - I'd personally
love to change it. If we are passionate enough about the old way, we can
have "yet another option" - and eventually hide it in a new mozilla-like
options list (perhaps) ;-)

	ATB,

		Michael.