[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [Libreoffice] Suggestion and patch for "Confirmation of save format" dialog

Astron heinzlesspam at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 10 06:58:59 PDT 2011

Hi,

>      * the (possible) length of the button text, and ...
>      * the stacked button layout (which is never used in LibO that way)
> will "eat up" the improved understandability of your change.

I agree with this.

> So, what do we have to fill the buttons when exporting (if we want to
> get back the usual layout)? I assume there are:
>      * the file format description "Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP/2003"
>        format
>      * the file format extension ".doc"

I think the obvious solution is to use the file extension for the
buttons and highlight the name of the file format in the warning by
making it bold etc. Like this:

===
This document may contain formatting or content that cannot be saved in
*Microsoft Word 97/200/XP/2003* (DOC) file format.
Do you want to keep this file format for this document?

Use the ODx format to make sure all formatting and content is saved correctly.

[Keep DOC Format] [Save in ODx Format]

[x] Ask when not saving as ODF"
===

(ODx should be replaced by each application's specific OpenDocument format.)

Advantages:
* no new strings necessary for the application names (like "Microsoft
Word") (I only guess here)
* the word "keep" is mentioned in the question as well as on the
button (not sure it sounds good in the question, though – please
advise)
* the file format is bold and on a new line → very visible
* using ODx avoids a tautology ("OD_F_ file _format_")
* all file endings are explicitly mentioned both in the warning and on
the buttons
* and some of the things Christoph's proposal already improved upon
(like removing "latest")

Disadvantages:
* "DOC Format" is probably not as easily understandable as "Microsoft
Word Format"

Regards,

Astron.