[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Header and Footers separators design

Cedric Bosdonnat cedric.bosdonnat.ooo at free.fr
Tue Aug 23 00:35:43 PDT 2011

Hi Cor,

On Mon, 2011-08-22 at 20:04 +0200, Cor Nouws wrote:
> cedric.bosdonnat.ooo at free.fr wrote (22-08-11 15:44)
> > ----- Mail original -----
> >> De: "Christoph Noack"<christoph at dogmatux.com> unbelievable ... at
>
> >> Thanks! At the moment, I'm thinking about how to make use of that
> >> - we have several hard-coded elements that would benefit if we
> >> could share those color(s).
> >
> > What are you thinking about? Those colors are already shared in the
> > options... or there is something I don't understand
>
> Maybe that 0x0369a3 is something different as COL_LIGHTBLUE ?

Sure... Quite a while ago I added those LibreColors to the palette...
but we'll need to find another way to refresh the palette colors (may be
by supporting several palettes like Gimp, Inkscape and friends?)

> >> * Abort: It is hard to identify how / and cumbersome to go back to
> >> the document content. In contrast to MSO, there is no visualization
> >> / hint how to do that. Examples: * Double-click is unusual (in
> >> LibO) and there is no visual clue
> >
> > What kind of clue / mechanism would be more natural to users then?
>
> Maybe the labels could have a <click here to close> ?

Yeah, why not? A drop down menu on those labels could help a lot to add
actions on them like:

 * Close Header/Footer Edit mode
 * Add Header (or Footer) Here
 * Remove This Header (or Footer)

May be others actions?

> >> * Although single-click doesn't work to go back to the document
> >> content, right-clicking once works - why?
> >
> > Doh! that's a bug / something I missed in the implementation.
>
> Ah, I like that bug!
>
> >> * ESC in header/footer goes back to the last position in the
> >> document, but: if the user moved to another page in the meantime,
> >> it jumps to the old location
>
> (me likes ESC too)

Like the bug or as a feature ? ;) Anyway we can leave it at it will be
helpful for some users and doesn't harm.

> >> * I think the "Edit - Headers&Footers" behavior is a bit strange.
> >> Its deactivated, if there is no header/footer on the page. But, its
> >> activated if either header or footer is there. Then, the missing
> >> item gets highlighted anyway ... without providing a clue how to
> >> really add this missing element. -->  could be more supporting
>
> In the last build I tried, it is disabled all the time :-\
>    Build ID: 35913b9-4eb4f62-260b7c1

Was it a clean build? Could there be remaining bits from an old build /
install?

> > An option here is to enable that menu item in all cases. If triggered
> > when there is no header/footer in the document, then it would add
> > them to the current page style. How does it sound?
>
> That forces you to choose a header, footer or both?

After thinking a bit more in that email and the previous one, I think we
could leave it active at any time and do nothing but switch to the
header/footer edit mode.

Then the user would be able to use the dropdown actions from the labels
to add something.

Regards,

--
Cédric Bosdonnat