[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Input bar UX

Jan Holesovsky kendy at suse.cz
Mon Dec 12 06:00:32 PST 2011

Hi Noel,

I really love the new input line feature :-)  I found few things I'd try
to fix if I had time - these are the things I like to do - but
impossible ATM, sorry :-(  Can you please have a look at them?  CCing
the UX guys in case they disagree; but hopefully these shouldn't be
controversial:

- http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~kendy/for_noel/input-bar.png
  - scroll bar size
  - the button position
  - jumping "Name Box" (and actually the icons too, but not that much)
    when you switch from and to large input bar

- behavior of Ctrl-Enter
  - when in single line mode, and you hit that, it should automatically
    switch to the large input bar - now it just lets you with an empty
    line, and you see the entire picture only in the sheet

- loosing cursor when switching to the large input bar
  - when you use mouse to switch between one line and multiline input
    bar, the focus is left at the button switching that; it should
    return immediately to the input line so that you can continue
    writing where you were before the switch

- behavior of the Bold / Italics / etc. buttons
  - when entering text in the large input bar, and hit the Bold etc.
    buttons (that are just above that), the formatting is shown only in
    the sheet, but not in the input bar (is that actually expected due
    to some implementation limitations?)

Overall works pretty well, I am particularly impressed how well does it
survive / behave when you start editing in the sheet, enlarge the input
bar, continue editing there, and switch back to the sheet - with all the
selection synchronization and everything :-)

Thanks a lot,
Kendy