[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [Libreoffice] [REVIEW 3-5: Late feature] Improvements in the header / footer behavior

Ivan Timofeev timofeev.i.s at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 07:35:44 PST 2011

Hello Jan

29.12.2011 17:15, Jan Holesovsky пишет:
> I have been playing recently with the great new header / footer
> indicators, and there were 2 things that I considered suboptimal from
> the UX point of view:
>
> - Appearing / disappearing of the controls after 1 second
>
>    I noticed that most of the time when I am using that, I am terribly
>    impatient even if it is just 1 second, and end up clicking the
>    header / footer area hoping that it will appear earlier; similarly for
>    disappearing.  I played with that, and with the faster appearing /
>    disappearing implemented by Thomas Collerton, there is no need for the
>    1 second timeout it seems; so I got rid of that:
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=64e08fd3c5980b74bb958dc566c229d92db18726

May be this is better now, may be not... I think that a timeout option
in the Tools -> Options will save us from the users' grumbling. :)

-----
The typical reaction from a nervous user (like me):
  User: I don't want to wait one second!
  Dev: Well, we've removed this delay. Is this better now?
  U: I also hate the animation!
  D: Ok, you can disable it in the settings now. Are you happy now?
  U: No, now this popups are annoying, they appear every time when I
move the mouse, I just fear to move it one more time! Are you plan to
send me to the funny farm?!
-----

There are always the ones who're displeased by the new UI features, who
only love the shortcuts. Lets take pity on them and add the option to
disable things that might be annoying.

> - Showing both the header and footer controls, while the user is able to
>   use just one of them at a time
>
>   While it makes some sense from the implementation point of view to
>   keep the headers and footers close in the code, from the user point of
>   view I don't see why we should show both at the same time; the user is
>   able to edit either header, or footer, but never both at the same
>   time - she has only one caret ;-)  So I decoupled that:
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=cce76e658af88813e17dea4f04388a29d7e582df

Yes, I agree here.
And... is it possible to show the controls only on a single page? See
the attached screenshot - it's absolutely crazy! %-)

But I'm not a UX-expert as far as you know. :) Don't rely on my opinion
so much.

Best Regards,
Ivan