[Libreoffice-ux-advise] writer+calc - anchor icons ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Tue Nov 1 05:38:41 PDT 2011

Hi there,

On Mon, 2011-10-31 at 22:31 +0100, Astron wrote:
> Michael, thanks a lot for your investigation work. I've tried
> manipulating the handles.png file, and indeed it works. Not as
> expected, though:

	Great :-)

> 1. alpha transparency doesn't work (admittedly, kind of expected that
> after seeing the 3D rotation handles that have black backgrounds
> in-program)

	Ok - I've pushed a fix to master that nails that; we can now have
proper > 1 bit transparency in there: hopefully that'll let us make the
handles look rather prettier as a first pass. Prolly we want to split
them up to make them a uniform size too but ...

	I attach a picture of a handle with an alpha hole in it, and an anchor
with an alpha-fish drawn on it, as you can see - my artistic skills
are ... ;-)

> 2. there's something really weird: LibO resizes the large, 9px*9px
> handles to 8px*8px – also true for the other images: all are displayed
> at (n-1)px*(n-1)px

	That is very odd; I took a quick look, but can't see that in the code -
it would be pretty hideous if we were scaling those guys - and I'd
imagine it would make them look -much- worse than your shot if we were -
the interpolation would be horribly slow and the result even uglier. Are
you sure it's not just the next-size-down rectangle ?

> Then, as probably everyone can see, LibO has far too many differently
> coloured handles (six colours, srsly?) – unless someone knows where
> the rest of these are ever used. It would be helpful to see which are
> in use and which aren't, so the appropriate ones can be skinned.

	Heh ;-) I'd like to reduce the number of sizes too - quite why we have
so many I don't know; but that'll need more code cleanup. Either way,
hopefully this opens the door for making them a lot prettier.

	All the best,

		Michael.