[Libreoffice-ux-advise] new range name dialog proposal

Eike Rathke erack at redhat.com
Tue Nov 1 11:32:41 PDT 2011

Hi,

On Monday, 2011-10-31 00:06:20 +0100, Markus Mohrhard wrote:

> pro modeless dialog:
>
> - modifications in the spreadsheet are possible while working with the
> dialog( is that really an advantage? makes handling of the dialog much
> more difficult if we for example delete a sheet and now several of the
> range names disappear or are modified)

Should that be listed under "con" instead? ;-)  Additionally, any
insertion/deletion/movement has to be reflected in the dialog as well if
it affects the currently selected and displayed entry.

> con modeless dialog:
>
> - marking a range in the spreadsheet can no longer automatically be
> used for the expression line ( nice feature in my opinion )

This IMHO is a killer, not being able to select a range using mouse or
cursor keys is a significant drawback.

> [...]
>
> So my idea would be to use something in the direction of Astron's
> suggestion but modal. Then we can think about how we can make ( if we
> still want) this dialog modeless without loosing performance for the
> 3-6 release. We would have a nice dialog for the 3-5 release without
> any regressions and will have enough time to think about how we can
> address the disadvantages of a modeless dialog.

Seconded.

> And we should not
> forget that the feature freeze is 5 weeks and we should have finished
> our work on this except for some minor bug fixes.

Indeed, good point.

> I know that this is not a perfect solution but in my opinion a new
> dialog which introduces performance problems is neither perfect.
>
> What do you think about this idea?

Like.

  Eike

GnuPG key 0x293C05FD : 997A 4C60 CE41 0149 0DB3  9E96 2F1A D073 293C 05FD