[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Re-sizing handles ...

Astron heinzlesspam at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 5 16:45:31 PDT 2011

Hi,

So, I've been working tirelessly (enough hyperbole for now) to create
new handles. Attached are a screenshot and modified versions of
markers.png, cropmarkers.png [0]. They are still work in progress and
I am not 100 percent sure all handles in use are covered.

* Before you try them: make sure you have a recent LibO 3.5 nightly
(contains a patch for alpha transparency of handles) [1] installed.

* To install:
** easy route: Downloaded the modified Tango theme file from:
https://rapidshare.com/files/2897730328/images_tango.zip [2].
Replace the file images_tango.zip contained in (LibO folder
[3])/share/config/ with the newly downloaded version of it.

** hard route: locate the file images_tango.zip in (LibO folder
[3])/share/config/. Place the files markers.png and cropmarkers.png
into the svx/res/ folder of the images_*.zip of your choice.

*To use:
** Make sure you use the Tango theme (default in most cases, except
Ubuntu, I think)

** Make sure to enable "Simple handles" and "Large handles" in all
applications you want to try (small handles will also work, but will
look extremely small).

What's different?

* There is a 1px translucent white border around most handles, so you
can easily see them on similarly coloured backgrounds (this sadly
makes all handles look smaller than they are -- I hope this is not too
much of a problem)

* Most handles are themselves translucent, so e.g. when modifying
curves you can see the nodes through the handles.

* The handles use Tango colours (so they should be well integrated
into our default theme).

What's still buggy?

* There is a little blue cross that appears when moving glue points. I
have no idea how that can be themed.

* All handles are resized to (n-1)px * (n-1)px of their nominal size
for an unknown reason. (Happens with all handles old as much as new.)

 Feedback very welcome.

Regards,
Astron.

[0] Released under CC0.
[1] http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/ (If you're on Windows,
your best chance appears to be the MinGW-compiled version)
[2] Not exactly the uploading site of choice, I know, but my wiki
account seemingly had some hiccups.
[3] usually "/usr/share/libreoffice" on Linux; usually "C:/Program
Files/LibreOffice 3.5" on Windows (or wherever else you extracted LibO
to)
(hopefully all that was not too detailed for you, if yes, sorry.)