[Libreoffice-ux-advise] new range name dialog proposal

Christoph Noack christoph at dogmatux.com
Tue Nov 8 13:39:51 PST 2011

Hi Markus, all!

Am Montag, den 07.11.2011, 19:46 +0100 schrieb Markus Mohrhard:
> Hello Christoph, Astron,
>
> ok, I had an initial look at you design.
>
> So let me just ask some questions to understand your design better
> before I start coding:

Sure :-)

> - We no longer have a modify button, does that mean that any change to
> the name, range and scope entries should be put into the table
> directly?

Yes, there should be a direct link (=updates) between the entries and
the table.

In this case, the modify button is not needed anymore - we avoid lots of
trouble. For many people, it is not clear whether the modify button
works before / after changing entries.

> - we no longer have an undo in this design, right?

Yes, for the modal dialog it is no longer helpful ... maybe even wrong.
As you said earlier, using "Cancel" will reject all the changes and keep
the state just before the dialog has been entered.

> - just a remark from the technical point of view: it does not make
> sense to insert range names with an invalid expression because after
> compiling we normally loose the information about the original string,
> so the initial expression might get lost

Mmh, I don't know exactly what this means ... do you refer to "checking
expressions" for errors when entering them? I assumed there is a way to
do that - even if it means to have a workaround (like temporarily
storing the original values and re-applying them after a check with a
bad result).

> - I assume that the same highlighting and information textes should be
> applied to the "Define Name" dialog, right?

Yes, that would be great - it would really help with regard to
consistence.

> - you want a multiselection dialog?

Hehe, it is less me who wants it ;-) I rather think that it will help to
manage the names, a) once people have many names in a spreadsheet
document, and especially if b) future versions of the dialog provide
searching/filtering (because it is likely that people then want to
delete a bunch of names).

But, of course, that is something which could be added as a refinement
later on ... although it would be nice to have it from day 1. Your
decision, I'd say.

> And it would be really nice if we could agree on a design till
> Thursday morning so that I can start programming. I mean with that,
> that we have a general idea what to do so that I won't need to the
> work twice.

Since Astron agreed, I agreed, ... up to you Calc guys ;-)

> Thanks a lot for your ideas.

Thanks a lot for your help ... I really, really, value your great work!

Cheers,
Christoph