[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [PUSHED] Re-sizing handles ...

Astron heinzlesspam at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 10 04:26:18 PST 2011

Hi Michael, hi Tim,

>> >        Hopefully Tim will nail this.
>>
>> If my assumption is right, I might be able to provide the patch
>> myself. In essence, all calls in svdhdl.cxx to GetSizePixel() are
>> postfixed with a "- 1" – I simply removed those "- 1".
>
>        Oh ! no, it is too horrible ;-) you deserve to have more than two
> colors, and 1 bit alpha. We should fix this properly instead. If you can
> provide an image with your preferred attach-point marker (at your
> preferred size - an odd x odd pixel size) and beside it your preferred
> highlighted attach-point marker; then I'll hack that into the code to
> get it rendering; or perhaps we could persuade Tim & Kendy.

Hm, we might have misunderstood each other here ... I was talking
about something I hoped would be a solution to the resizing issue.
Which it of course wasn't (I can build now again, so I even tried my
apporach).

> Thanks - so; I took at look at the 'humanity' and 'oxygen' versions of
> these, found them ~un-touched, and clobbered them with your version - I
> imagine that is what their authors would want if they knew. I left the
> default_images/ mess for a future generation to cleanup ;-) I put the
> images in 'industrial' since the themes are layered at build time and
> mostly fall-back to industrial.

I still hope to find someone who does a sprite for the Galaxy theme
... but there wasn't a huge response on the design list so far. But
Christoph had some helpful feedback for me.

>        Tim also removed the pointless old/new handles code, so there is now
> only one image to touch of each: markers.png and cropmarkers.png -
> hopefully that is easier to grok.

Great. Can we also remove the "small" handles along the way? They are
now looking much too small with the new handles. In the new version
attached, I already removed the transparent borders, so they look
practically the same size as the large ones, but now will look
slightly weird in situations where a 7*7 and a 9*9 handle are layered
on each other (for instance in Impress: add a new text field, select
it → see top left corner) .

>> But I'll ask for feedback on the design list, so if you push them now,
>> they might have to be replaced again.
>
>        Well - it's so much better, I don't mind :-) Tim is chasing the scaling
> issue - it seems we have a 24x23 anchor in the markers.png, and a 23x23
> rendered image - squashed only in the x dimension

I think that is not correct. I measured the anchor (in Gimp) from my
screenshot and it seemed squished in both directions (ie 23*22).

>> Something that confuses me a bit is that I don't know what the
>> "plushandles," as svdhdl.cxx refers to them, do...
>
>        No idea ;-)

I wrote a message to Regina to see if she knows more, she said she
never saw these before, so I won't theme them for now.

>        And finally ... ;-) It'd be great if you could add a pretty picture of
> your nice work at:
>
>        http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/3.5

Done.

Lastly: attached is a patch (everything still builds and looks fine,
yay) that does the following things:
* modify svdhdl.cxx to accept sprites where none of the elements share
borders and the anchor is a 24*24 square
* modify sprites (for hicontrast, default_images and industrial (ie my sprite))
* add a "Glue_Deselected" handle type to svdhdl.cxx (and its header),
in case someone wants to replace the little blue cross, but it's not
wired up currently, it just knows the right image position to use – I
hope I did that in an okay way [1]
* change the Industrial icons for the Points toolbar to incorporate
blue handles (they used to be red)

Thanks a lot to you, Tim and Michael, for pushing the modern/classic
handles change so quickly.

Astron.

[1] I can also just roll a new patch and take this part out.