[Libreoffice-ux-advise] keyboard focus/ raise window to top behaviour

Christoph Noack christoph at dogmatux.com
Sun Nov 13 12:43:25 PST 2011

Hi Lionel,

welcome on this list :-) Unfortunately, I won't be that helpful today,
since I have some urgent private matters to deal with. But maybe others
can join (CCed Cor, since he was once involved in the discussion).

All I can do today is to refer to this old discussion thread, here is my
first reply in this thread:
http://openoffice.org/projects/ux/lists/discuss/archive/2008-05/message/1

An interesting reply was given by Clement some months later:
http://openoffice.org/projects/ux/lists/discuss/archive/2008-08/message/5

Could you please have a look at the thread whether it contains helpful
information?

Am Sonntag, den 13.11.2011, 17:37 +0100 schrieb Lionel Elie Mamane:
> I've started to dig into LO's behaviour with regards to stealing
> keyboard focus and raising its windows to top, originally as part of
> fdo#35091. That bug was introduced by the fix to i#99971; from that
> issue's comment log, the fix was controversial at the time, because it
> would reintroduce several older issues, such as i#19976, i#49426,
> i#62756.
>
> After this reading, my conclusion is that the expected behaviour with
> respect to "steal focus" is platform-dependent:
>
>  - On X11, giving focus to new windows OR NOT is the window manager's
>    decision. In general, the application should *not* raise its
>    windows to top.
>
>  - On Microsoft Windows, apparently it is *required* to raise your
>    windows yourself.
>
>  - On MacOS X, I don't know. Please advise.

Mmh, I did not find anything related here:
http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines/Windows/Windows.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000961-TPXREF10

I don't own a Mac, so I cannot check. The only thing I've noticed some
years ago was, that OOo (via X11) had totally different window handling
in comparison to the native applications.

So, anybody owning a Mac who could elaborate on the behavior? Thanks!

> I have already (in master) made the gist of the fix to i#99971 be
> active only on Microsoft Windows.
>
> I intend to hunt down every place where LibreOffice raises its window
> to the top, and inactivate it on X11, and leave it active on
> Windows. Please tell me what to do on MacOS X.
>
> Exceptions:
>
>  - Raise window to top on all platforms when the window gets recycled
>    for a document that gets opened, instead of a new window being
>    created.
>
>    For example, if one creates a new text document (which may or may
>    not happen by default on startup, depending on command-line
>    options), it is called "Untitled N". If that document is not
>    modified in any way, and another text document gets opened, it gets
>    opened in that window instead of a new window being created.
>
>  - Maybe others as I discover them.

Sorry for skipping the rest of your mail ... but maybe it already helps
(a bit).

Cheers,
Christoph