[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [re-PUSHED] Re-sizing handles ...

Astron heinzlesspam at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 20 03:59:26 PST 2011

Hi Michael, Tim, everyone else,

>        Interesting. Would it be better simply to add the capability to have
> even larger handles. I'd like to do that by re-doing the markers code -
> to add an extra size, we have 13x13 I suppose at the bottom right (do we
> use them currently ?).

That's an idea, but in my eyes even letting the user choose the of
handles they want to use is unnecessary complexity. But I kind of see
what you're getting at here... maybe it would be a good idea to turn
on a different set of handles once LibO uses a screen past a certain
ppi setting (say, 150 ppi) or has detected a high-contrast theme.

Then, there is a practical "problem": we already use the 13*13 handles
in some situations [1], therefore we'd need (new) 15*15 handles. That
bit of course is only some copy/paste/enlarging action away.

>> I think that is not correct. I measured the anchor (in Gimp) from my
>> screenshot and it seemed squished in both directions (ie 23*22).
>
>        Hey ho :-) Tim is still chasing it, while doing other things.

Great. By the way, I tried on a friend's laptop with LibO 3.3 and the
bug wasn't present there.

>> * add a "Glue_Deselected" handle type to svdhdl.cxx (and its header),
>> in case someone wants to replace the little blue cross, but it's not
>> wired up currently, it just knows the right image position to use – I
>> hope I did that in an okay way [1]
>
>        It's fine - I joined the dots there and ripped out the old code.

Awesome.

> The
> good news is that connection points (when not selected) are now
> incredibly more visible :-) the smiley in the screenshot reminds me of
> my teenage years ;-) [ which is I think good ]. The difference between
> selected and un-selected is perhaps not as large as it could be ?, see
> the xmag output there ].

You're absolutely right. I'll fix that next time. Unfortunately (?),
I'll have to make the deselected points lighter.

> there also seem to be some minor gluepoint /
> vertex alignment issues, but whether that is in the underlying
> draw-shapes, or not it's hard to say: they look pretty awful in the
> previous 3.4 code, that's for sure :-)

My bad, I think – I have replaced the 7*7 blue cross with a 9*9
deselected glue handle (now same size as the selected one)...

> On Fri, 2011-11-11 at 10:41 +0100, Astron wrote:
>> Patch under MPL/LGPL3+, of course. Always forget to say that.
>
>        So - if you can send a blanket mail to the developers mailing list
> saying: "all my contributions to LibreOffice are & will be under
> MPL/LGPLv3+" or somesuch - then we can link it here:
>
>        http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Developers
>
>        Then if you go through this rigmarole:
>
>        http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/AccountRequests

Will do soon.

Best Regards,

Astron.

[1] e.g. Open Impress/Draw. (Activate Big Handles.) Switch to Points
mode. Create a curve. Press Ctrl-Tab. The first of the handles should
now be alternating between 11*11px and 13*13px size.
Or: Open Impress/Draw. (Activate Big Handles.) Click on a text field.
The top left handle should be a 13*13px handle overlaid by a 9*9px
handle.