[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Hiding/Showing the page breaks in writer

Christoph Noack christoph at dogmatux.com
Sun Oct 2 15:30:36 PDT 2011

Hi Cedric, all!

Am Mittwoch, den 28.09.2011, 09:08 +0200 schrieb Cedric Bosdonnat:
> On Tue, 2011-09-27 at 23:18 +0200, Christoph Noack wrote:
> With some more width computations, I should get the right side of the
> page easily.

Thanks!

> BTw, while writing that, I just realized that we may want to have the
> buttons on the opposite side for RTL text... (header/footers as well).

Yes, makes sense ... I don't know how we handled that for the Notes -
whether the language of the document (may differ) or the language of the
GUI (might differ from the document) was used.

[...]
> > Phew, I don't have the "oh so great" solution at the moment, but I
> > played a bit with some ideas:
> > https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/7HmsuAXxc8BJeGdELeqsUg?feat=directlink
> >
> > In my personal view, #3 fits best - although stuff like brightness and
> > details (for the icon) and refinement (like decision on rounded edges)
> > is missing yet. But, I think that it fits well to the notes and the
> > header/footer indicators.
>
> I personally like the round edges... but that's a matter of taste.

Haha, I skipped the round edges, because it causes some headaches when
doing some "ideation" in the graphics program. So slightly rounded edges
are fine, I think. (We haven't defined an overall visual style for LibO
yet).

> The
> control width, icon and arrow position seem more well balanced in your
> #3 idea than on my implementation. Could you please give me the widths /
> heights / positions you used?

Of course; originally, I've wanted to simply document that. But then
I've noticed that some details are hidden in some mails, and then ...
however, I've decided to start a whiteboard page to not miss anything
important. Although its in an early draft state, please everybody, have
a quick look. The general structure (incl. size) is now available -
including rounded corners :-)

@ all: please check the "team" section (I have been hesitant to assign
any role or duty)

@ Cedric: Please have a look at known issues, I've found some more. We
should decide whether we should write issues, add them to this mail
discussion, or track them via the wiki page.

@ all: Please have a look at "Open Points" - important stuff missing?

Here is the draft page (heavily moved stuff around, so expect mistakes):
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboard/Writer_SpecialIndicators

> I also made a quick revert of the page break color change yesterday
> evening... but I find the colors used for the header/footer is too
> similar while staying quite different: I'm not sure it's really
> aesthetic.

Sorry, I'm unsure what you are referring to here - shall the page breaks
have different colors than the header/footer indicators? I find these
related, and we already do have approx. 7 colors (if I remember well)
markup colors.

Cheers,
Christoph