[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [Libreoffice] Styles cleanup & removing option page std fonts

Christoph Noack christoph at dogmatux.com
Thu Oct 20 12:46:59 PDT 2011

Hi Dag!

Am Mittwoch, den 19.10.2011, 22:37 +0200 schrieb Dag Wieers:
> > On Wed, 2011-10-19 at 16:19 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
[...]
> > 	Are you volunteering ? (and it's worth checking the result with the
> > ux-advise guys too of course).
>
> I am willing to help there, certainly ! But I'd rather have someone with
> some design skills come up with a generic color palette and styles that
> can be reused throughout documents, presentations and spreadsheets.

Yep, a refined color palette is something we are missing, certainly. As
far as I know, nobody proposed / volunteered to work on that. If you
like, I can provide some hints how this was done in the past (for
diagrams etc.).

[...]
> One of the ideas I think would be great, is having a small LibreOffice
> logo on the default document somewhere on the lower-right of the page. Or
> in the default footer. The logo is stylish and non-obtrusive.

Thanks that you like it :-) I do think this is perceived as way to much
influence on our users' documents.

> PS I was very impressed with the default presentation stylesheet for the
> conference. And maybe green is a nice color for the default. Who did design
> that template ?

Thanks again ... it was great community work :-) Starting point was - as
usual - the LibreOffice visual branding. The conference logo and the
motif (the pattern in the background) were made by Nik. I defined the
remaining details - you may have a look:
http://luxate.blogspot.com/2011/08/sliced-visual-design-time.html

By the way, we now have a general LibreOffice Presentation Template
based on that design:
http://templates-test.libreoffice.org/template-center/libreoffice-presentation-templates

Back to the defaults you've mentioned. If you chose to update some of
them, please take some time to study what kinds of documents are created
by users. The most helpful hint might be the OpenOffice.org User Survey
2009 Result available here (see Field Summary for EB7):
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/images/f/fb/OOoUserSurvey2009_Final.ods

And, picking a question from one of your other mails ...

Am Mittwoch, den 19.10.2011, 22:51 +0200 schrieb Dag Wieers:
> > Any remarks/suggestions/tips at this stage?
>
> Can we collect some ideas and/or examples on the wiki somewhere ?
>
> For the admonitions (note, tip, important) I have some examples I
> really
> like from other Open Source documentation that I'd like to refer to.

My proposal would be to pick a Whiteboard Page in the Design Wiki -
there, we collect all the stuff e.g. in development:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboard

One example related to Writer:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboard/Writer_SpecialIndicators

You may create a page like (simply click on the link):
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboard/Writer_StylesCleanup

Well, I hope some of the bits and pieces will help ... thanks a lot in
advance for helping us!

Cheers,
Christoph