[Libreoffice-ux-advise] writer+calc - anchor icons ...

Astron heinzlesspam at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 31 14:31:57 PDT 2011

Hi.

Michael, thanks a lot for your investigation work. I've tried
manipulating the handles.png file, and indeed it works. Not as
expected, though:
1. alpha transparency doesn't work (admittedly, kind of expected that
after seeing the 3D rotation handles that have black backgrounds
in-program)
2. there's something really weird: LibO resizes the large, 9px*9px
handles to 8px*8px – also true for the other images: all are displayed
at (n-1)px*(n-1)px
... see the attached image (it's a manipulated screenshot with my
"custom" handles [they have a partly-transparent 1px white border
around them, which I hoped might help on blue backgrounds, but seems
pretty ugly to me now]).

Then, as probably everyone can see, LibO has far too many differently
coloured handles (six colours, srsly?) – unless someone knows where
the rest of these are ever used. It would be helpful to see which are
in use and which aren't, so the appropriate ones can be skinned.

On 31 October 2011 20:01, alexander.wilms <alexander.wilms at zoho.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It's nice to see how fast this is going :)
>
> I don't understand much of the code, but LO uses those bitmaps and takes the
> areas which contain the actual icon, right? Wouldn't it be much more
> convenient to use single (SVG) images instead, or at least a vector-based
> set of handles?

I don't understand much about that either, but I think there are few
general things:
* vector images can't be used as icons in LibO currently (but it would
be great, of course)
* vector images displayed at small pixel sizes are usually larger than
bitmaps at those sizes
* sometimes sprites can be very efficient because they load faster
than single bitmap images would (as they're also smaller than many
single bitmaps together are)

Astron.