[Libreoffice-ux-advise] to duplicate an existing style

Christoph Noack christoph at dogmatux.com
Mon Sep 5 12:44:02 PDT 2011

Hi Olivier, hi Cor!

Am Montag, den 05.09.2011, 20:52 +0200 schrieb Cor Nouws:
> Olivier Hallot wrote (05-09-11 20:47)
>
> > Looks like you are right... My bad.
>
> No probs !

Mmh, but isn't that a bit different? Apart from the naming, but doesn't
"New" create an empty style that inherits all values from the upper
style? So, the values aren't copied, but the values are kept until the
user manually overrides it.

So "Copy" is indeed different, but I fear some people might get more
confused when adding that feature than the hierarchical styles create
confusion today ;-) So it would be great to know about a more detailed
use case what it might solve (I have one in mind, but I don't want to
guess to much ...).

> > But, Then... is "New..." the right wording? "New from this" (?)
>
> Hmm, should wait for real UX expertise to answer that question ;-)

Hmm, both is right and both is wrong at the same time. Once "New..." is
executed, then the user may change the name of the style the values are
inherited from. Then "New..." fits better.

If the behavior creates issues (behavior = people don't know that
settings get inherited), then we should think about some better overall
solution (I don't know yet *g*).

Hope this helped somehow.

Cheers,
Christoph